Sunday, October 26, 2008

Eat With Me

The 3rd in the With Me series was 
Eat With Me 
(video and image to come)
I prepared vegan red beans and rice for anyone who wished to share a meal with me.
We hosted the event in the Visual Arts Studio.  In all, about 20 people chose to share the meal and good conversation about eating, sharing food and the role of participatory activities in art practice.  
Here is the recipe:
1 T margarine
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 C celery
4 cloves garlic
2 C vegetable stock
45 oz soaked kidney or red beans
4 C water
1 t of each: oregano, thyme, black pepper, paprika
1/2 t cayenne
1 bay leaf
Rice

Artist Kimberly Kwee was visiting me for the weekend and did a performance concurrent with the meal.  She offered foot washing to anyone who would enjoy allowing her to cleanse their feet.
The meal was served on my personal china and daily use plates and bowls.  Guests were told the story of my dishes. One set was given to me by my mother and had been her first set of china when she moved out on her own.  The other I have collected over many years.   My daily use dishes were purchased recently from IKEA.  
When anyone had completed their meal the dishes were washed to provide clean plates and utensils for the next participant.
No food was wasted in the process, the remaining food was eaten at my home by myself and 2 guests who were visiting for the weekend.






No comments: